Thursday 11 December 2008

A SMALL BUSINESS EXPORT SUCCESS STORY

Small businesses throughout the United States have gained international exposure and increased profits through exporting. Consider the case of Novi, Inc., a California-based business.

Company President Michael Stoff tells his story:


"In November of 1986, when I began my business venture, Novi, Inc., I knew that my Tune-Tote (a stereo system for bicycles) had the potential to be successful in international markets. Although I had no prior experience in this area, I began researching and collecting information on international markets. I was willing to learn, and by targeting key sources for information and guidance, I was able to penetrate international markets in a short period of time. One vital source I used from the beginning was SBA. Through SBA I was directed to a program that dealt specifically with business development -- the Service Corps of Retired Executives (SCORE).

I was assigned an advisor who had run his own import/export business for 30 years. The services of SCORE are provided on a continual basis and are free. As I began to pursue exporting, my first step was a thorough marketing evaluation. I targeted trade shows with a good presence of international buyers. I also went to DOC for counseling and information about the rules and regulations of exporting.

I advertised my product in Commercial News USA, distributed through United States embassies to buyers worldwide. I utilized DOC's World Traders Data Reports to get background information on potential foreign buyers. As a result, I received 60-70
inquiries about Tune-Tote from around the world. Once I completed my research and evaluation of potential buyers, I decided which ones would be most suitable to market my product internationally. Then I decided to grant exclusive distributorship.

In order to effectively communicate with my international customers, I invested in a fax. I chose a U.S. bank to handle international transactions. The bank also provided guidance on methods of payment and how best to receive and transmit money. This is essential know-how for anyone wanting to be successful in foreign markets."


Michael Stoff knows about success in foreign markets. In just one year of exporting, sales topped $1 million and increased 40 percent in the second year of operations. Today, Novi, Inc. is a large distributor of wireless intercom systems which exports to over ten countries.

Breaking Into The Trade Game:
A Small Business Guide to Exporting can assist your company's international marketing efforts. This Guide highlights the export success stories of many small businesses. It is both a comprehensive how-to manual
and reference book providing you with the contacts and resources to ease
your entry into markets around the world.

Part I: Becoming an Export Success Story takes you through the
exporting process with stories of small businesses all around the United
States that have found exporting to be an exciting and profitable way to
expand their business.

Chapter 1: Making the Export Decision includes an international business plan to assess your company's export readiness, business goals and commitment;

Chapter 2: Identifying International Markets explains how to conduct foreign market research and the resources available to assist you;

Chapter 3: Foreign Market Entry discusses methods of distributing your product abroad with an emphasis on exporting;

Chapter 4: The Export Transaction details the steps involved in making trade happen, including setting prices, negotiating the sale and determining legal aspects of exporting;

Chapter 5: Export Financing outlines government and private sector financing resources and methods of payment;

Chapter 6: Transporting Goods Internationally focuses on moving goods overseas, including packaging and labelling;

Chapter 7: Strategic Alliances and Foreign Investment Opportunities explores other methods of market entry beyond exporting, such as joint ventures and off-shore manufacturing facilities.

Part II: The Exporter's Directory is a comprehensive directory of

Short Cut :
Home l About Us | Feedback | Member Login | List Your Company | Product List | Company List


Related Links :
InternetMedia-Solutions l SuperHostIndo l AyoKencan l
SuperWebIndo l SuperAppIndo






contacts and information sources to assist you as you go global.

No comments: